What is New Media?

New media, to me, are technologies that make peoples' lives easier in some way. I don't have an exact definition of new media but blogs, social networks and viral marketing are examples of it. I also feel like new media is consumer based; it connects large companies to the people and even people to other people. New media makes people feel more accessible. In an article from Flow magazine, Tim Anderson defines new media as media convergence. I think of all the definitions that I have read, I agree with Mr. Anderson's the most. New media is usually an improvement on older technologies such as VCRs to DVD players, and now Blu-Ray. New media also arises from new needs an example of this is the Blue Tooth earpieces because there were so many careless car accidents and/or people getting tickets from talking on their cellular phones while driving. New media is also referred to as communication technology, which goes back to my earlier definition, which said that new media facilitates communication between people.



[1]http://flowtv.org/?p=157
[2]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_media
[3]http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=9uFT080FcRkC&oi=fnd&pg=PP12&dq=definition+of+new+media&ots=AI1eblP5Iw&sig=dt9eYEStKdfRf_-_hJ11Jt6NaQo#PPA2,M1

No comments:

Post a Comment